Monday, April 18, 2016

A good weekend!

I've been on this homemade bread kick lately which is weird since I've been anti-gluten for some time.  However, it hasn't been bothering me lately, no headaches.  I'm not sure if that is because my allergy shots have knocked something out of my system or because the bread is real.  I mean there are like 7 ingredients and all of them are pronounceable.  

I've also been on a no-processed food kick and have lost 4 lbs and feel much better.  Anyway, a good weekend always begins with homemade french-toast with real maple syrup.  I can't get over this stuff.  I'm going to be looking all over the farm for Sugar Maples and probably even hit up my grandparents farm.  This stuff is amazing!  


After breakfast, a hike is in order to check on various things and to get some great sunshine.  I put Bella in a backpack and Daniel walked with me...

The bees are doing fine.  Dad lost all his hives over the winter so these are brand new.  Hopefully this great weather for the next week or so will give them a boost.


Rosie and Samson came out to check on us but they didn't get too close.  Rosie is expecting within the next couple of weeks and doesn't like to move to far or too fast.


I found one of our farm hands (bees) working hard.  Look at those pollen sacks.  Don't destroy those dandelions!  Those are great for the bees.


Life revolves around food, period.  I stopped at the local meat shop and picked up two pounds of great bacon.  I made some in the skillet so we'd have some bacon grease for cooking at other times.  I also cooked some in the oven.  I really can't decide which I like better.


Breakfast is served.  Can't wait to have our own pigs to match the other homemade or homegrown stuff.


In the afternoon we went looking for mushrooms and all we found was this frog, do you see him?


The sunshine and fresh air was too much for Bella on this trip.  Here she is in a backpack on her big brother, sound asleep, yet she never dropped her flower.


The boys gave the layers bracelets and here you can see them showing them off.  For those who are wondering, we have Red Star layers.  These are the best layers we've ever owned.  The bracelets help us to keep their ages straight from year to year so we don't get the new flock confused with the old one.


Daniel was super excited to harvest our first mess of asparagus.  We'll wait until we get some more and then grill it.  I can't imagine cooking it any other way.


Anthony climbing one of our hop poles.  Oh to be young and nimble once more.



The egg-mobile is off to a good start.  It will be 8x20 on a hay wagon frame and be completely self contained.  We're under a little pressure to get it done because our broilers will need the current coop as a brooder in about a week.


Thanks for looking and reading all the way through.  We're slowly making our farm into something beautiful and we're glad you are along for the journey.  If you are interested in stopping by or getting any of our eggs, chickens or other offerings, just let us know.  740-324-0702

No comments:

Post a Comment