Monday, October 3, 2016

Changing our enviroment

I'm in one of those moods, you know, a mood where you would really like to strangle someone.  Come on, don't tell me I'm the only one who has those moods.

A customer just threw a fit (second time in 3 months) when I wouldn't accept her offer on a vehicle.  Did I mention I hate this work?  3 months ago she gave a low-ball offer and was mad when we said no.  It happened again today, and now I'm ticked.  I want to throat punch her.  But I won't.

Of course this post isn't merely a rant about some insane customer who I want to call and ask politely not to come back.  No, it's about how things affect us.

My entire internal and potentially external environment changed because this person is a less than charitable human being.  I could let it affect the rest of my day but I will choose to shake it off and move on.

There are so many things that affect our lives - people, weather, accidents, gifts, sickness, health, smells, sights, sounds.  We live in a constant state of bombardment upon our senses.  This bombardment can change us mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically.  The smell of fresh baked bread can make us smile and brighten our day.  An auto accident can disturb our peace or change us forever physically.

Even little changes, over time, can have long lasting effects.  For instance, if I work out everyday or walk everyday, I'll enjoy better and better physical health.  On the contrary, if I take up cigarettes everyday or breath asbestos everyday, my health will surely suffer.

Major changes are easy to see; new baby, lottery, broken leg, divorce.  Small changes are more difficult to see; better health, more intelligence, cancer, asbestosis, old age.

Just as small or major changes in our environment can affect us, I truly believe that small or major changes that we make can affect the environment.

Now, of course I am far from some hippie-tree-hugging-nutcase, however, I truly believe that this is an undeniable fact that we can affect our environment.  I also believe that it's reasonable to deduce from this that if we can have an effect on our close (personal) environment we can also have an effect on our distant (communal) environment.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment